Thursday, November 12, 2015

It Came from eBay! - Cardinals Lot Edition or: How My Long National Nightmare Is Over

One of my favorite things to do when I have free time is perusing eBay for cards, and my favorite search is looking for lots involving the St. Louis Cardinals.

When looking through these listings, you learn a lot of things, most importantly - two things really - people vastly over value cards or have no idea what they have.

As I'm typing this now, I'm looking at listings that were newly listed under the Cardinals lot search and this popped up...

A three card lot of Ozzie Smith relics, a little over $5 a card and most importantly, Free Shipping. While I do enjoy a good relic card, the price is too much for my blood.

Then you have old cards like these above. Dirt cheap (shipping is$2.50). I'm really not into the vintage phase, I'm sure I'll get there at some point in my collecting lifetime, but I still like shiny things and am easily distracted, so these don't really do it for me. Plus I know these will go for much higher than a quarter. The condition of the cards are terrible, by the way, I have much worse looking old cards in my collection than these.

Terry Pendleton was great, but who needs that many cards of him?

I love Ozzie and it's probably meant for dealers, but come on. $3.50 shipping to boot.

See what I mean about over value? You could get the whole team set in a bubble pack for $7 with free shipping.

Now that's just a few examples of what you see in eBay's little corner of baseball lots. Everyone in a while a gem is posted and should be pounced upon.

And one such lot was posted last week and I jumped on it. Let me pull a screen up...

 That's a picture of cards in the lot from the auction I won.

This lot was fantastic. 221 cards, mostly cards from 2015, it included sets that I hadn't bought like Diamond Kings, Finest, Allen & Ginter just to name a few.

Out of the lot, I counted about 41 doubles I had, which for a Cardinals collector isn't too bad. About 181 fresh cards, and I'm going to show a few of them off...Lets start with the oldest...

1990 Swell Baseball Greats
 These were the oldest of the bunch. I only have one of these in my entire collection, of Bob Gibson, but the seven of these that were in that lot will be welcomes with open arms. I would have much rather got these than say some '90s Topps or Donruss.

  
2005 Topps Total
 We jumped ahead 15 years later to the next oldest cards, a time when I wasn't collecting at all and I shake out 13 cards from this set, including the two above.

2006 Flair Showcase


 It's shiny and may be worth the price of the lot itself, this and a Chris Carpenter


2006 Ovation
I was/am such a sucker for Ovation cards.

2009 Topps 206
The scans I've seen of these never made the set too appealing to me, but in hand they're pretty cool.
 
2012 Topps Allen & Ginter

 
2013 Bowman Platinum
Shiny Card. I like this set a lot.
2013 Topps Finest
 A Wacha Rookie, a shiny one to boot.

 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter
As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of the A&G cards, I find them too plain, but I'll glad take them in a lot.

-------------------------------------

So, in the middle of writing this entry, a huge windstorm started here in the Midwest and I was without power for roughly 14 hours and it basically took all the excitement I had writing this. lol if that makes sense.

In summary of the lot, it was awesome, I went back to the eBay seller and bought two more off of him, this time Dodgers and Angels and to help bolster my Puig, Trout and Pujols collections. Between the three lots, over 600 cards for about $23, that's roughly the price of a blaster with about 10x as many cards.

There are great lots on eBay, you just have to be diligent.

And to top off this weird entry, I finally bought me a new TV after weeks of not having one. Best Buy had a preview of their Black Friday sale yesterday online, so I nabbed a 40 inch for $150 which was right in my price range. I will get it on Friday, I had the option to pick it up Saturday at my local Best Buy or sent by UPS and get Friday, so a day early sounded good to me.

Come back this weekend for ListiaMania IV, I've already forgot what I have got, some decent stuff if I remember correctly. I'm not sure, I'm dead tired right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment