Thursday, August 6, 2015

Blasts from the Past or: How I Stumbled Upon Two Rookie Cards

First off, a trade from mrbenaka over at the Trading Card Database...

I gave up...

1991 Studio George Brett

1994 Donruss Chris Gwynn

and finally a 2013 Topps Gold Aaron Crow.

In return I received....

1987 Donruss Opening Day Ozzie Smith.

And 2015 Donruss All-Time Diamond Kings.

Also in the trade I got a 2009 Upper Deck Kerry Wood and a 1985 Donruss Lonnie Smith. Hopefully I can write more about them at a later date. Maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh.

A word about Donruss cards too. I really like the stock they've used in both 2014 and 2015 cards. Glossy front and back and heavy cards. Albeit I've only held two of them, the two of them have made me reconsider buying them in the future.

Now onto the bulk of the blog...While going through all of my cards I found two rookie cards I had that were just stowed away in boxes and not in the proper place, in top loaders. It was 2003 the last time I did a massive inventory of my collection, although they've been moved many times and most of them are in boxes I stored them in when I was a child.

Anyways onto the cards the first one....

1993 Score, #489 Derek Jeter Rookie Card.

Seeing this while thumbing through 1993 Score was a shocker, because in 2003 when I last did it, Jeter was a big deal, so why I buried this card back into the rest of the other cards is unknown.

I don't have a lot of the 1993 Score cards because I didn't like the design, I think it was the year Score started to go downhill. In 1994 they introduced the blue border which was a bitch to keep good looking cards, but they also had the Gold Rush cards which I was a fan of.

And yes. I'm in the camp that believes Jeter is highly overrated.

Another rookie card I found was....

2004 Topps, #324 Yadier Molina, First Year Rookie Card

Now this one made me much more giddy than the Jeter, mostly because I'm a Cardinals fan and a Molina fan.

2004 Topps doesn't make a big dent in my collection, only racking about 60 cards of the 32,000. But the Molina rookie is one and now probably one of my cherished cards, even though I've only known I've had it for a couple months now. Strange how collecting works. It's in absolute perfect condition as well, like it was just pulled from the pack. No signs of aging since it was right in the middle of the box where even just a hint of air would touch it. I'm sorry, it's like I'm in the movie Sideways and I'm drinking a fine wine. I'm not drinking any f*cking Merlot!

And finally as I've mentioned I've just surpassed my 32,000 baseball card collected (not counting cards I have for trade). And the card in question that got me over the hump...

2015 Ginter, Keys to the City: Gateway Arch. That's fitting. I got the card via trade from wjsenke at the TCDB.

So there we have it...And I've recently order my Series 1 box of 2015 Topps. As I'm typing this it's currently in Oompa Loompa, Florida. Strike that. Opa-Locka, Florida. Wherever that is. Hopefully it gets here by Saturday morning and I don't have to go outside and get some fresh air. I can stay inside all day, ripping open packs of cards. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment